This is what I have found as the ideal format for redirecting a single page with a Permanent (301) Redirect in WPENGINE.
What this does is…
- ^ means that this is the beginning of the URL
- ? will let this apply whether there is a trailing slash or not
- $ forces the redirect to end here and not apply further
Put whatever the full final path is here. For best server performance it should be the full URL e.g. https://fewerthanthree.com/destination-url/
This means that if we had
^/how-to-rock/?$ as the rule then accessing
Should both redirect to whatever I put in the Destination.
Further Reading and Tools
- Redirect Checker – useful for avoiding browser cache misdiagnosis when testing redirects
- WPENGINE Advanced Rewrite Options
- WPENGINE – Common RegEx Used for Redirect Rules and SSL